Monday, November 26, 2007

Cars Crashing into Buildings

A car recently drove the fence surrounding my friends apartment complex. It crashed through a tree, somehow slid between two parked cars, and crashed into the side of the building. I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't seen the replaced fence, the missing tree, and the patched up side of the building. My friend now parks his car on the other side of the building, in case another car repeats this improbable feat.

Now, what are the odds this happens once? Pretty small. What are the odds that it happens again, well must be really small. There are two schools of thought on this. One is that, when a person wins the lottery, the chances they win again are small, unless they invest their winnings back in lottery tickets, which would increase their chances of winning again. Of course, you have the lightning bolt theory, which I just made up, which says that if a tall metallic object gets hit by lightning once, it probably means it isn't grounded well, and is more likely than other places to get hit again. Statistics is fun to think about, and if I've bored you, reread the first paragraph of this post.

No comments: